Friday, May 11, 2012

1.1.9 Release Notes

PRIMARY GOALS

Scavenging : I want to emphasize scavenging and bring back the 'wasteland' feel to the game. Having to tie together two weapons adds a lot more character to the game.

Tier Weapon System : Where stronger weapons are harder to make. Pitchfork -> Makeshift Spear and Chop Axe -> Limb Hacker are great examples of this. Spears were giving me some hardships though, I defined pikes as 'primarily slashing polearms' in my mind while spears covered the 'primarily stabbing polearms'. Brainstorming became difficult when my choices are stabby stick or slightly less stabby stick. This was made even more difficult because the pitchfork is already a good weapon. So in the future, the pitchfork will have to be nerfed significantly if spears are to evolve.

More Useful Allies : I toed on this a little by adding the shouldered plate and the riot helmets, each is a huge step up from what you can make. I still kinda feel like the Enlightened aren't worth the hassle, and the warlords are still lacking something. So more work needs to be done. I further toed into this by making both sides bring more types of metal. Suggestions are appreciated.

Better Body System : Did you know that the ribs only protect 5% of shots? Only in DF huh. I expended on the body system by making it more durable, and more realistic. There's still much to do though. I'll do some experiments with tissue thickness to see if I can get a good balance. I'm rather disappointing that I couldn't make someone cover their head with their limbs. On top of that, I simplified teeth, fingers, and toes. This should have a major affect on FPS (for the better) as there are 52 less items to keep track of, and on ten humans that's 520 less items!

Better Husbandry : I tried to make raising domestic animals easier, animals grow up faster, pigs have more births, bees produce so much more exponentially. I removed Cavy, Reindeer, Peacock, and Guinacock as they did not add anything to the game except redundant redundancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment